Sophomore Graphic Design ar225
Sophomore graphic design focuses on form making and conceptual problem solving. Image making techniques will be explored and integrated into graphic design contexts. Conceptual problem solving will be examined according to how forms suggest meaning. A student is expected to build upon the skills developed during foundation year to generate innovative and inventive form in both analog and digital formats. Static and dynamic design solutions will be explored.
The course will revolve around three centers of interest:
- Developing technical skills and widening technical lexicon;
- Image making in direct relationship with production technique;
- Conceptualization put into application to communicate.
Three assignments have been developed in relationship with what is above. The first assignment is nonetheless experimental and incites the students to explore analog and digital techniques. The second assignment proposes an image-making in relationship with a production process. The last project will sensitize future designers to branding and its derivatives. Your contribution and findings are important to the course. Each students will be highly encouraged to learn about different processes in order to deliver realistic and professional results. Be curious and share!
By the end of the semester, the students should have developed a personal attitude towards design while understanding several means of production. This course also encourages the use of web platforms to promote ‘the physical’ into different digital networks.
- Foundation training as a Freshmen
- Transfer student with basic arts training
Attend to all classes is essential. Un-excused absences will result in faults to the participation evaluation. Keep me updated if you need to miss class. In any case, the students are responsible for being up-to-date. Being late will be perceived the same way.
You will be evaluated according to your overall engagement in the projects and exercises. Your active participation during the semester will also be taken in account.
- Assignment 1
- Assignment 2
- Assignment 3
- Class participation follows the regulations on attendance of the College of Fine Arts.
Assignments Criteria (general)
- Originality / point of view / attitude
- Formal approach + typography
- Execution shows technical skills
- Give your idea a chance
- Strangeness factor (Extra points)
- Metal ruler
- X-acto knife and blades
- Cutting mat
- Rubber Cement, Spray mount
- Variety of cardstock, paper, magazines, found materials
- Must have: laptop, digital storage device to backup your files
- Anything that you can use to make new/unexpected form
Fall 2016 A1
- Ivan Aleksandrov
- Lauren Baik
- Dorian Dreyfuss
- Patricia Ho
- Amber Lin
- Mary Mort
- Georgiana Pagounis
- Nikka Palapar
- Lucas Noel Thomas
- Cheng Qiu
- Tammy Qiu
- Caroline Rakip
- Gabriella Ryan
- Joseph Schianodicola
- Nikita Singh
- Samantha Wong